SCAN to Release New TV Ad in Support of Lujan Grisham Plan for Universal Pre-K

Media Contact: Brendan Daly, [email protected](202) 794-1580

SCAN ads will air in New Mexico tomorrow and continue through mid-March

WASHINGTON, D.C. (January 15, 2019) – Save the Children Action Network (SCAN) will release a new broadcast television ad tomorrow in support of Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham’s plan for universal preschool, strongly backing her agenda to improve and expand early childhood education in New Mexico.

“By age 5, a child’s brain is almost fully developed, yet thousands of 3- and 4-year-olds across New Mexico lack access to quality preschool education,” said SCAN CEO Mark Shriver. “With her plan to make universal access to pre-kindergarten a reality for every New Mexico family, Governor Lujan Grisham is building a strong foundation for all children in the state.”

Lujan Grisham outlined details of her plan in her State of the State address this afternoon.

“All New Mexico’s kids should have an equal chance at success in life,” the ad states, noting that only 40 percent of eligible kids are enrolled in preschool, leaving 60 percent of children behind. It urges viewers to text their state legislators “to support the governor’s plan for every kid to finish the race strong.”

Shriver said that New Mexico schools are ranked 49th in the nation and pre-school enrollment is ranked 44th.

“New Mexico shouldn’t be lagging the country in early education, it should be leading it,” he said. “Early education is one of the best ways to lift kids out of poverty and prepare them for success in school and in life. Governor Lujan Grisham understands that and I urge state legislators to support her call to expand early childhood education.”

SCAN endorsed Lujan Grisham in last year’s election, and this year is working to mobilize New Mexicans in support of the governor’s early learning agenda.

# # #

Save the Children Action Network is the political voice for kids. We believe that every child deserves the best start in life. That’s why we’re building bipartisan will and voter support to make sure every child in the U.S. has access to high-quality early learning and that no mother or child around the globe dies from a preventable disease or illness. By investing in kids and holding leaders accountable, we are helping kids from birth to age five survive and thrive. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.